About a year ago, I found this recipe for Zucchini Apple Bread on allrecipes.com – and it’s my FAVORITE! I’ve modified it just a bit, I’m not a fan of the walnut, but its a sweet and dense bread that’s wonderful with a little butter and a hot cup of tea. This last time that I made the recipe, I made muffins instead of loaves, and they came out great! This is a perfect thing for a fall evening.
Zucchini Apple Bread
1 cup white sugar (I cut this back to 1/2 cup)
1 cup brown sugar (I cut this back to 1/2 cup)
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla (I pour a heaping teaspoon – I’m a vanilla fan!)
3 1/2 cups all purpose flour
**last time I used 2 cups all purpose and 1 1/2 cups wheat flour)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (I use pecans)
2 cups peeled, chopped zucchini
** I grate the zucchini, it adds a better texture to the bread
** It will take about 2 med zucchini to get 2 cups grated
1 cup chopped, peeled apple
** Again, I grate the apple, this will take about an apple and a half
I also drain the zucchini and apple to pull out most, but not all of the moisture.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 – 9-5 inch loaf pans.
2. In a large bowl, combine eggs, white sugar, brown sugar, oil and vanilla until well blended.
3. In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salf and cinnamon.
4. Stir flour mixture into egg mixture. Fold in pecans, zucchini and apple. Pour into prepared pans.
5. Bake for 1 hour, or until top springs back when touched lightly in center.
If making muffins, bake for 25 min, until a toothpick comes out clean.