There have been a few times in the last couple months where I have thought, “The 8th grade girl inside of me is freaking out right now.”
Walking around Disneyland with my cute husband.
Skating to 80’s music, while my husband skates backwards, holding my hands.
The 8th grade me was a bit (A WHOLE LOT) boy crazy. There were multiple boys that had stolen my heart, and I was just waiting for one of them to wake up and realize how totally amazing it would be for me to be their girlfriend. This did not happen.
I do remember it being a hard year. My family switched churches that year and I had to break in with a whole new group of kids in the youth group. I wanted desperately to have a “very best friend” and while I had some good friends that I hung out with, no one reached BFF status. And then there’s the basic truth that Jr. High is just awful.
Sometimes I just want to go back and tell her:
- Everything is going to be OK. This a rough time, and there are more rough times ahead, but life is going to be OK.
- Your heart will be broken, to the point where you think you can’t make it through. But you will make it, and there’s an amazing Swedish dreamboat that you get to share your life with.
- Friends are a precious thing. Some may only be a part of your life for a season. Cherish them all, and learn to better yourself with each friendship.
- Don’t be so hard on yourself.
- Hug your family as much as you can, you won’t always be near them.
- Keep the flowery Doc Martins – FOR-EV-ER.
I’m so glad not to be 13 anymore, but I’m so thankful for the life that I’ve lived that has brought me to today.