Do you wake the same each morning? Refreshed and ready to take on the day? Or clinging to the sweet sleep that shelters? Have you ever been woken like Joseph with a purpose and a charge to go now, spend time with your Maker and see what He has to say?
Late in December I woke much earlier than usual, with a need to leave my warm bed, go to my office and spend some time in the word and in prayer. God led me to a series of verses and each said “Delight”. Delight in Me. Delight in my word. Delight in the law. DELIGHT.
It seemed a clear message to me for the year of 2013 – Delight.
And after a crazy 2012, the word Delight seemed like a wonderful thing to be, to do and to focus on. I was ready.
Then five days into the new year, my sweet brother unexpectedly passed away. A frantic call from my mother and less than 48 hours later I was on a plane. The next three weeks were spent with my immediate family, mom, dad and my sister; just us four in one house dealing with all the stuff that comes with death.
And each day in my heart the word “Delight” was repeating like a mantra.
But how do you take delight in such a horrid situation?
- You delight in being able to spend time, just your immediate core family, for the first time in many moons.
- You delight in knowing a brother who had lived with many disabilities is running free and unfettered in the vast expanse of heaven.
- You delight in the family and friends who surround you with love, hugs, food, prayer and encouragement.
- You delight knowing the next time you see your brother he will be able to show you all the best spots and introduce you to the family who has gone before.
- You delight in the freedom to stay and serve your parents for as long as needed.
- You delight in having a sister to share a room with.
I have been given a word to purposefully define this year.
I have been issued a challenge in the way I look at the world around me.
I have been given a purpose to seek after for these next days and months.